Monday, April 25, 2016

Why All The Hate?

I seriously want to know why the media and many people bash The Final Countdown by Europe and We Built This City by Starship.  I really, really want to know. What's with all the hatred for these two songs?   
For some time there seems to be many haters of the two singles, but yet back in their day they were both huge hits in the 80s.  I can name many, many more songs that I'd rather disappear from the annals of time: Achy Breaky Heart being one of them.  But when the so-called experts made a list not too long ago of the worst songs ever, the top of the list was We Built This City.

I can understand if people that didn't grow up in the 80s would dislike either song.  They are pretty typical for the era, but that doesn't make them bad songs.

Our media-driven and social media-driven society seems to have only room for one opinion and if its not the popular one, then you obviously must be wrong.

Our society screams for diversity, but when diversity rears its head, people call for conformity.  Make up your mind society!

Is it just like the Guns N Roses album Chinese Democracy that looked like it would never be released, so it became a byword and running joke?  So is it just a running joke that these two songs are terrible, and people don't even know what they sound like enough to make their own opinion?  I have to wonder.

For me, I like both songs and would never say they are hated by me.  For you, you are free to hate both songs, that's your opinion.  But is your opinion based solely on popular opinion, or your own opinion?  Something to think about.


2 comments:

  1. Europe were a good group I liked them and the song. Their guitar player was really good.

    I was about 12 when "We Built This City" came out and as a song I like it. As I got older though, while I still like the song, I thought it was stupid that they say "We built this city on rock and roll" yet it's a Pop song, not a rock song. And lyrically it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

    That being said, many songs don't make sense and I don't hate it for that.

    Just my 2 cents,
    HB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I like that song "We Built This Final Starship In Europe" by the Jefferson Countdown.
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete