Saturday, May 17, 2014

St. Peter Is That You?

I'm back from my second 5k trail run!  Just wanted to share a short report of how it went.

First a little background: last August, on a strangely cool morning I set out running not only first 5k, but my first trail run too.

As one who has never run since high school, and even then not any great distances this was certainly a challenge.

I started off o.k. but then my back started to hurt and we had to stop for a minute and try and stretch it out.  Still I kept going and I finished at around 54:30.  Not terrible I guess for my first time out and considering the back problems.

2014 came along and I had my sights set on doing the 10k option and in the meantime some friends told me about East Side Church's new Queen City Trail Run 5k.

Being my second 5k of course I wanted to finish faster than the last time, I didn't know however that Reedy Creek Park's trails would be even harder than the Charlotte White Water Center's.

I knew the park was hilly as I play disc golf there pretty regularly.

I didn't know that one of those hills would be waiting for me and brother was it a tough one.  Jokingly I posted later that I expected to see St. Peter waiting at the top of that hill.

But I kept going and the hill eventually was in my rear view and down another hill and up some more I made it to the finish line.  As I turned the last corner I saw the clock was just over 48:00 and I all of a sudden found more energy to run than I had all morning.  I picked up the pace and finished strong beating my last time by nearly 6:00!

Now I'm not here to tell you I'm a fast runner, far from it.  But I honestly never thought I'd be able to run 1 mile, much less over 3.

I'm living proof that anyone can do this stuff.  It's not rocket science.  It just takes some hard work, time and effort and you will see results.

Until next time...please sit on your sandals!




No comments:

Post a Comment