Monday, May 26, 2014

The Year Of Wes

In my never ending blathering on about my weight loss and strength- gaining journey I come at you with another post about a few milestones I hit over the weekend.

First up I played a round of disc golf Sunday afternoon and that alone isn't anything to talk about, but the fact that I RAN (cue Flock of Seagulls?)several of of the holes was!

A while back some friends and I had joked about Speed Disc Golf being an option.  Well at that time I could barely even walk the courses without being out of breath and having major back pain.

So yesterday I'm just jogging along and it hit me that I've made some major progress!

I currently do 3 boot camps a week (45 minutes - 1 hour of intense workouts) and then run or bike one day a week.  Still planning to do my first 10k next month.

Then today on a whim I sat down at the store and checked my blood pressure.  It was 123 over 80!  That's as close to normal as its been in YEARS!  My blood pressure has run around 138 over 85 for quite a few years and the doctors always said it should be lower.

Well I guess all this output has finally caught up with the old ticker and my blood pressure is finally down where it should be.

I have a long way to go, in both weight loss and endurance in running, but I've also made huge strides the past few years and I can't imagine ever going back to where I was.  Honestly that guy is dead, and I'm not digging him up again!

Jason Rhymer, my fitness mentor and friend pointed at me during one of his boot camps and said "This is going to be your year!" and I took him at his word.  I keep reminding myself of his words and slowly but surely I keep seeing new sign posts that the old Wes is dead and gone, and the new Wes is here to stay.

Well that's all for now, until next time...


1 comment:

  1. Wes,

    You have put in hard work; took on new challenges; battled your alarm clock to get up early to train; sacrificed fun events for fitness events; joined F3; signed up for races that push your limits; and embraced change! I am proud of you and excited to see how the last half of "The Year of Wes" turns out!

    ReplyDelete